Pork Crackling Topped Squash Casserole
Pork Crackling -Topped Squash Casserole
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
10 cups (¼-inch-thick) sliced yellow squash (about 2¾ pounds)
- 2 cups finely chopped red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¾ cups shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ¾ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup chopped fresh chives
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups roughly crushed RayGray Pork Crackling
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add squash (pan will be quite full); cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is just tender, 12 to 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes more. Transfer squash to a colander set over a large bowl; let drain for 5 minutes. Discard any liquid.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- In a large bowl, stir together ¾ cup Cheddar, Pecorino, sour cream, chives, salt, pepper, and paprika. Stir in squash and onion mixture. Transfer squash mixture to prepared dish; sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Cheddar.
- Bake until cheese is melted and casserole is bubbly, about 20 minutes. Top with RayGray Pork Crackling. Garnish with chives, if desired.
recipe courtesy of – https://www.tasteofthesouthmagazine.com/pork-rind-topped-squash-casserole/